(1:34) Facebook "He's sitting there like he belongs," Raiders defensive coordinator Paul Guenther recalled with a laugh. In 1991, the Los Angeles Raiders selected RB Nick Bell No.

In fact, first-year Raiders general manager Mike Mayock, a longtime NFL Network draft analyst, "stumped the truck" as the league's station had no highlights of Bell to show when Mayock pulled Bell's card. "He has all the physical assets that you want in a player that could play this position. All of this after Bell actually took a year off from football after high school, instead running track at Riverside (Calif.) City College before being recruited to run track and play football by Prairie View. Bye week shift might be a (rare) good break for the Chargers, Broncos coach Vic Fangio forced to take more risks on defense, What the Chiefs need from new running back Le'Veon Bell, Derek Carr, MVP candidate? [3][4] He was released on October 15.[5]. He's got the measurables -- the speed, the length. So I brought it up to the other coaches, 'Let me have him.' His family legacy may have earned the respect of the coaching staff, but so did his game.

"But looking back at it now, it's probably the best decision I ever made in my life. Along with Christian Wilkins, breaking bread with Devin White and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. "I felt like this is somewhere I could see myself," the younger Bell said. They thought I was crazy. [2] He was waived on August 31, 2019 and re-signed to the practice squad. The Raiders worried some other team would keep Oakland from signing him as an undrafted rookie after all of the leg work done by Raiders scout Teddy Atlas III. When asked about his fondest moments as a Raider, Bell's first and last touchdowns as a Raider were his most memorable. Yeah, the whole story was enough to pique the interest of Raiders coach Jon Gruden. He's one of those kids that just has those gifts.". "Obviously, the whole coaching staff knew who he was as soon as I got there [for my visit]. Indeed, Bell is the first Prairie View player drafted into the NFL since Matthew Teague in 1980, and only the third Panther drafted by the Raiders, along with receiver Louis Neal in 1973 and defensive back Finnis Taylor in 1969. The following browsers are supported: Chrome, Edge (v80 and later), Firefox and Safari. "You could see the desire in his eyes.

At 240 pounds, Bell clocked a 4.4 second 40-yard dash, which left Raiders General Manager Mike Mayock flabbergasted. ", "At first, it kind of sounded a little crazy to me," Bell said. What does a receiver-turned-into-a-defensive end look like at #Raiders minicamp? After quarterback Todd Marinovich, but before the likes of receiver Rocket Ismail, defensive end Nolan Harrison and tight end Andrew Glover. It feels like a dream right now.

"He's got the right people behind him. I don't even know how to explain it.".

I feel like he has the right mindset for it. Enough for Oakland to attend his Pro Day, where he flashed that receiver speed and that edge rusher burst. When we dropped our midseason draft GPA story on Nov. 4, the Raiders fared pretty well with a 3.10. Bell, who has put on more than 20 pounds of muscle since the start of last season and currently weighs 243 pounds, led the Panthers with 7.5 sacks, nearly matching the eight receptions he had as a junior.

The thing about him is that he's a hard worker. But unlike Ferrell, the first-rounder whose selection at No. But it's only the beginning and now it's really time to get down and really work hard. Can Josh Allen and the Bills outscore Patrick Mahomes' Chiefs? The Las Vegas Raiders entered the draft with seven picks and finished with seven new additions to the Silver and Black. "It really was kind of a decision I made for myself as well as for my team at the time," he told the media via conference call Saturday.

[6] He signed a reserve/future contract with the Buccaneers on December 30, 2019. (1:34). 230 overall. Mayock insists Bell is a legitimate prospect. You can be physical, but you're not ... it's different when you're down in there with those big hogs, you know what I mean? That's my only regret. He's far from the first fastest man in football to join the Silver and Black. ©2020 by the Las Vegas Raiders. Growing up, Quinton's uncle and former Raider, Nick, knew he was athletically gifted because when young Quinton started playing football he was a natural at everything, but given his size it was a perplexing situation for his coaches to figure out where to play him. "He just kept getting better and better and better. Who would have thought I'd be a Raider one day?". Clemson defensive end Clelin Ferrell (Round 1 - fourth overall), Alabama running back Josh Jacobs (Round 1 - 24th overall), Mississippi State safety Johnathan Abram (Round 1 - 27th overall), Clemson cornerback Trayvon Mullen (Round 2 - 40th overall), Eastern Michigan defensive end Maxx Crosby (Round 4 - 106th overall), Houston cornerback Isaiah Johnson (Round 4 - 129th overall), LSU tight end Foster Moreau (Round 4 - 137th overall), Clemson wide receiver Hunter Renfrow (Round 5 - 149th overall), Prairie View A&M defensive end Quinton Bell (Round 7 - 230th overall).

No portion of this site may be reproduced without the express written permission of the Las Vegas Raiders.

', "He kept bringing him up and he kept bringing him up and he said, 'Mike, he's 240 pounds.' • Best undrafted » | Fantasy reax » And with some NFL coaching, it could be scary.". He finished fast, with five sacks coming in the Panthers' last four games. • Pick-by-pick analysis » 43 overall, 26 years later the now Oakland Raiders select his nephew DE Quinton Bell No. Coach Gruden is a great coach, an absolutely great coach. "It's crazy how much we look alike," Bell, whose brother Xavier is a redshirt sophomore safety at Arizona, said as he examined one of his uncle's rookie trading cards. So, I thank those guys at Prairie View -- for giving me an opportunity, making it available to me because I would never have thought to do that myself.". There was Clelin Ferrell, chopping it up with Montez Sweat. And just to be able to see my name on that TV [during the draft], it kind of makes you feel like you are doing what you are supposed to be doing and all your hard work is paying off. "Ten times more fun," he said. They knew if they allowed him to become an undrafted free agent another team would swoop in, and they weren't going to let that happen. I feel like he's going to have a bright future, especially if he just keeps working. So Oakland took him in the seventh round. And of course, he …

"He kind of kept this guy alive in my mind, and that's what good scouts do," Mayock said of Atlas.

Kyle Martin.

I just thought, 'We've gotta teach this f---er to get in a stance.'". The Las Vegas native played three seasons for the team, totaling 853 rushing yards, seven touchdowns, 21 receptions, and 213 receiving yards. And he said, 'he's 240 and he ran a 4.4' and that got my attention.". A Raiders bye week progress report, Johnathan Abram: Raiders chasing perfection, not Chiefs, after beating champs, Chargers squander another 17-point lead, spoil Justin Herbert's MNF debut, Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs can't overcome prolonged dry spell this time, After facing Tom Brady, Chargers rookie Justin Herbert takes on Drew Brees, Saints, Chiefs' loss to Raiders a reminder of 2018 season, How postponing Broncos-Patriots affects the rest of the NFL schedule, Surprise!

I was like, 'Wait a minute, he was 222 or 225 during his [season].' "I mean I honestly am surprised man. I pray for him every day. "I don't care what the sport is," Grant said. The former Kentucky Wildcat participated in a Bleacher Report fan AMA. And he kept bringing him up and he said, 'Mike, he weighs 240 pounds.'

The Long Beach, Calif., native was a three-sport athlete growing up, participating in track, basketball, and football at Costa Mesa High School.

Quinton Bell joins the Raiders 28 years after his uncle was drafted by the team: "It feels like a dream" Apr 27, 2019 at 06:33 PM. "He's just a novice at the position, so he's got a lot to learn. By John Newby Apr 27, 2019 . From that point on, Mayock and the Raiders coaching staff had Bell circled on their draft board. He was released on October 15. Take a look through photos of the newest draft class to wear the Silver and Black.

Raiders' rookie Bell looks at uncle's NFL trading cards (1:34), Introducing Quinton Bell, the Raiders rookie who 'stumped the truck'. So legit, the Raiders feared word would get out that he was on that visit with Ferrell & Co. The Las Vegas Raiders selected Clemson guard John Simpson with the 109th overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. I really like him and how his players get riled up. Introducing Quinton Bell, the Raiders rookie who 'stumped the truck' 1Y; Paul Gutierrez; Data provided by Elias Sports Bureau. My only regret is I should have tried it sooner. It's been 26 years since a member of the Bell family played for the Raiders, but that's all about to change. "Raiders select Prairie View A&M DE Quinton Bell in final round", "Raiders announce transactions - 8.31.19", "Raiders cut 7th round rookie Quinton Bell from practice squad, add Kendall Donnerson", "Bucs Place TE Antony Auclair on IR, Restock OLB Depth", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Quinton_Bell&oldid=946098895, Players of American football from California, Prairie View A&M Panthers football players, American football defensive lineman, 1990s birth stubs, Short description is different from Wikidata, Tampa Bay Buccaneers currentteam parameter articles, Infobox NFL biography articles with old NFL.com URL, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 18 March 2020, at 01:55. 43 overall, 26 years later the now Oakland Raiders select his nephew DE Quinton Bell No. • More NFL draft coverage ». Come on, Teddy.

In 1991, the Los Angeles Raiders selected RB Nick Bell No. 4 overall raised more than a few hackles, Bell barely registered a blip at No.

He was waived on August 31, 2019 and re-signed to the practice squad. Bell also benched 225 pounds 23 times and cleared the 12-foot-long tape on the broad jump, but fell backward to scratch, before registering an 11-4. Maybe that's because Bell, a high school track star in Long Beach, California, made the unconventional switch from receiver to defensive end as a Prairie View senior. ... 'Quinton Bell' as a Stump the Truck. The Raiders selected Louisiana Tech cornerback Amik Robertson with the 139th pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. Yes, Uncle Nick was the first running back the Raiders drafted after Bo Jackson's career-ending hip injury.

He played it in college and he obviously played well or he wouldn't be here, so I'm excited for it. He just needs some fine-tuning. Even as a seventh-round pick, Bell offers a unique skill set that the Raiders need, and he'll have to compete just like everyone else in the coming months to make the active roster in September; however, right now he's enjoying the moment with his family and continuing his uncle's legacy in the Silver and Black. Chiefs' secondary thrived with Bashaud Breeland out, Raiders hope to get Trent Brown, Henry Ruggs and Maliek Collins back vs. Chiefs, Broncos bristle about moving Patriots game to Monday, but Vic Fangio says 'it's on us', Fumbles, injuries put Chargers rookie Joshua Kelley in the spotlight, Bell actually took a year off from football after high school, Covered Oakland Raiders for CSNBayArea.com and Sacramento Bee for eight years, Member of Pro Football Writers Association, Previously worked at Los Angeles Times, Las Vegas Review-Journal and Sports Illustrated. He has an expectation for the players, they know they're accountable and responsible for something.". Watch as Head Coach Jon Gruden breaks the news to defensive end Quinton Bell that he is being drafted by the Raiders. That's not an easy transition to make for a number of reasons, but it was no big deal for the Southern California kid. I just went behind him and he took me in and we won the game with no time on the clock. 230 overall. All rights reserved. The elite defensive draft prospects were gathered together at a Bay Area Italian restaurant, having each received one of the coveted 30 invites allocated to the Raiders by the NFL each season. "A lot more fun.

Call On Me Chicago, Divine Passion Meaning, Chn Vs Del 2009 Scorecard, Six Feet Under Season 4 Episode 12, Why Wasn't Miranda In The Lizzie Mcguire Movie, Heist Game On Friv, Feherty Wife, Mr Porter Sale, Dirty Money Season 3, Ross Bagley Net Worth 2020, Beamer Benz Or Bentley Mp3, All The Rage Meaning In English, Bolden Moisturizer, Tamara 2005 Sequel, Breaking News London, Liquid Swords Lyrics, Dream A Little Dream Of Me Chords Piano, Tcu Mascot, Undeadwood Part 4, Vita Vea Position, Black Thought Hamilton, Failed High Stakes Witcher 3, Cappadonna -- Show Me The Money, Beau Corrales Wiki, Gabrielle Kristen, Wolf Ridge Ski Resort Cabin Rentals, Youtube News Live, Welcome To The Terrordome Film, Bonanza Cast Deaths, Zozibini Tunzi Net Worth, Atliens Dj, Tottenham Fixtures On Tv, Slipstream Transformers Cyberverse, Handsome Devil Song, Lori Loud, Cherish Meaning In Kannada, Pregnancy Movies On Netflix 2019, Wcu Humanities Courses, God Is Faithful Song Lyrics, Tyler James Williams Net Worth, West Side Story - Jet Song, Joe Sugg Instagram Hashtag, Get Out Netflix Uk, What Episode Does Brenton Die In Seven Seconds, Scuba Diving At Devil's Den, Wil Myers Nickname, Ragnarok Origins, Love Boat Guest Star Generator, Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence Spirited Away, Hobo With A Shotgun Trailer, Six Nations Fun Facts, We're Back A Dinosaur's Story Wiki,