But I just lost my 3rd family member to COVID-19 and after taking time to reflect I know it's time for me to look after my family.". He was named the co-American Athletic Conference (AAC) player of the week after rushing for 104 yards and a touchdown and gaining 204 yards and scoring two touchdowns on nine receptions on October 19, 2019 in a 47–17 win over Tulane. Kenneth Gainwell, 49 Hammond, LA. The sophomore thanked … The Athletic's Dane Brugler listed him as his No. [6], As a redshirt freshman, Gainwell was named the Tigers' starting running back following the departure of Tony Pollard. Gainwell grew up in Yazoo City, Mississippi and attended Yazoo County High School. After redshirting four games in 2018, he became one of the best running backs in the country last season with 2,069 all-purpose yards. Early life and high school. Get the latest news, stats, videos, highlights and more about running back The sophomore thanked the current and past Tigers coaching staff for investing time to make him a better player and man. Memphis star RB Gainwell opting out, father says, A way-too-early look at next season's top Heisman Trophy contenders. During the summer going into his senior season Gainwell committed to play college football at Memphis over offers from Ole Miss and Tulane. [8][9] He was named a second team All-American by the Sporting News and the American Football Coaches Association and the National Freshman of the Year by the Football Writers Association of America. He was a three-year starter at quarterback for the Panthers. You can reach Evan Barnes on Twitter (@Evan_B) or by email at evan.barnes@commercialappeal.com, Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. "I love this game with all my heart and never thought I'd have to make this decision. This is Me - Control Profile. "I've had to arrive at the toughest decision of my life, which is to opt out of the 2020 College Football season," Gainwell said in his letter. Gainwell's letter did not state whether or not he'll enter next year's NFL Draft, but he is eligible with this being his third year in college. Tennessee Volunteers fire D-line coach after rare home loss to Kentucky. BAD GOOD. "Being a Tiger has meant so much to me. From Ohio State's high expectations to the conference's COVID-19 protocols, there is plenty to pay attention to when the Big Ten kicks off this week. [2][3][4] Gainwell finished his high school career with 3,682 yards passing and 32 passing touchdowns and 4,730 rushing yards and 75 rushing touchdowns with one kickoff returned for a touchdown. Memphis' White drops a 41-yard dime that leads to TD, Wide-open Gainwell scores on pass from White, Gainwell's 68-yard TD caps 200-yard performance, Purdue football coach Jeff Brohm confirms positive coronavirus test, will miss opener. 2021 college football recruiting class rankings: USC, Georgia rise in top 10. "Yazoo County QB Kenny Gainwell Commits To Memphis", "Older brother helps Kory Gainwell tackle recruiting process", "2017 Class 3A Mr. Football: Kenneth Gainwell", Mississippi High School Activities Association, "Gainwell relishes lead running back role as Tigers face Navy", "State of the Program: Memphis is the team to beat in the AAC West, and it has its sights set higher", "Tigers' Gainwell earns top weekly honor in AAC", "Gainwell has fifth best odds to win Heisman Trophy in 2020", "Memphis' Antonio Gibson, Kenneth Gainwell among Tigers honored in 2019 All-AAC awards", "Memphis Tigers running back Kenneth Gainwell named freshman player of the year", "Tigers running back, Kenny Gainwell, earns All-American status", "Memphis freshman Kenneth Gainwell earns second-team All-American honors from Sporting News, AFCA", "Yazoo County's Kory Gainwell commits to Memphis", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Kenneth_Gainwell&oldid=968083219, Players of American football from Mississippi, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 17 July 2020, at 04:03.

Caps Lesson Plans Grade 1 Term 1, Black Dinner Set Tesco, Mizuno Running Shoe Sizing, Loch Lomond Pods With Hot Tub, Claudia And Robin Bunce Net Worth, Made It Through The Struggle Lyrics,