I felt compelled to write my own review because I think the film would make more sense if we thought of it as a social experiment and not a documentary. The subject matter is timely as we are living in a moment in which crimes from the 1990s are inspiring many television series (e.g. True crime is of course a fixture of Netflix programming in particular with Making a Murderer being one of the most high profile documentary series made by the service and many other works such as ACS being licensed globally. We only see the finished product in excerpts and the bulk of the film is spent interviewing and observing the would-be actors. Instead of interviewing people in a more traditional documentary about the unsolved case, green asked members of the Boulder community to audition for a possible film the famous murder case. 'Casting JonBenét' Is A New Look At An Old Case NPR's Lulu Garcia-Navarro talks to director Kitty Green about her new documentary Casting JonBenét, which takes an unconventional look at … I say this due to the fact that it may have enhanced my experience with this film, and that people who are not entering it blindly might not enjoy it as much. Coming Soon, Regal We want to hear what you have to say but need to verify your account. And I feel like I've found a little bit of closure. | Rating: 3.5/5 It was - we were looking at doing more of a portrait of a community that had lived under the shadow of a crime for the last 20 years more so than the JonBenet Ramsey case itself. Various Colorado-area actors are interviewed and tested for the roles of real people involved in the case, including John and Patsy Ramsey, Burke Ramsey, John Mark Karr and Boulder police officials. The website's critical consensus reads, "Casting JonBenét's unorthodox approach to its genre sets it apart in a crowded field, making for a uniquely thought-provoking true crime documentary hybrid. [3][4], Casting JonBenet received positive reviews upon release. We're looking at individual interpretation and perception and the way the media kind of takes these kind of - this crime and has kind of sensationalized it over the past 20 years and what that's become and gossip and rumor. Out of the recent trend of documentaries of actual films that portray real stories, which are not as confusing as they sound (like "Katie Plays Christine"), "Casting JonBenet" is the best. This group includes Oscar winner Icarus as well as Strong Island, arguably the single best feature film available as a Netflix original movie. This movie was not what I thought it would be. Green thus betrays her audience and her subjects (JonBenet and the child actors) all of whom were children. Over 15 months, responses, reflections and performances were elicited from the Ramsey's Colorado hometown community, creating a bold work of art from the collective memories and mythologies the crime inspired. Visit our website terms of use and permissions pages at www.npr.org for further information. Their opinions range from insightful to off-the- wall batsh*t insane (think movies like "Room 237), and I enjoyed every second of it. 20 years after the highly-publicized and unsolved murder of JonBenet Ramsey, a casting call for young actresses to play the late child beauty pageant queen … | Rating: C Casting JonBenet GREEN: Definitely volunteer it. Some may even be incensed by what they watch in this film. AVOID! And that's when they opened the door to the wine cellar and saw her covered in her favorite white blanket. Exploitative. I saw this production last night. During the process, the would-be actors, dressed as the individuals they are auditioning for, reveal their emotions about the case and offer their own speculations. Who would have thought this state garnered so much talent. Stars Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Eddie Redmayne share their 5 reasons not to miss The Trial of the Chicago 7 on Netflix. The surprising thing about this was I went in knowing that we wanted to get these emotional stories from people, but I had no idea just how heartbreaking a lot of them would be and how organic that process would be. All rights reserved. | Rating: 5/5 And these are all the themes that we were dealing with. JonBenet Ramsey Dance Double / |, May 17, 2017 Want to share IMDb's rating on your own site? Coming Soon. I had to forego on all of my prejudices about what to expect of a documentary and what to expect of a movie, because it is neither. This is especially true of the Patsy Ramsey hopeful who went on and on about her wardrobe choice and the freak who used his time to show off his S&M fetish. GARCIA-NAVARRO: So John Ramsey, we should say, was JonBenet's father. And we found that often people are so obsessed with this crime, and the reason they can't let it go is because it's almost quite a personal story. My only issue with it is that it lulls at some points towards the final 3rd, but even then it is still a very watchable film. The "film" managed to trivialize the life and death of this little girl and somehow, people found it to be profound. Watch it for yourself and make your own mind up. There are no approved quotes yet for this movie. Being able to have moments like that within the film make this movie truly special, as well as the first amazing film of the year. I wasn't pushing anyone further than they wanted to go. But Casting JonBenet gradually evolves into something more profound. Please click the link below to receive your verification email. GARCIA-NAVARRO: Any thoughts about JonBenet in the end and what may have happened to her or not? The film was directed by Kitty Green. Casting JonBenet (Kitty Green, 2017) – Documentary. Casting JonBenet isn’t like other documentaries and just when you think there’s no other way to tell the story, Green found a new angle. So that was the intention of the piece, to look at the blurry - kind of the boundaries between fiction and nonfiction. All the while, the camera crew is filming these people and gleaning their insight into what they think about the murder. We won’t be able to verify your ticket today, but it’s great to know for the future. Casting JonBenet is a member of Netflix’s very large, diverse and very accomplished group of documentaries that premiered at Sundance in 2017.This group includes Oscar winner Icarus as well as Strong Island, arguably the single best feature film available as a Netflix original movie. Sidney Poitier’s 7 Most Memorable Performances, All Harry Potter Movies Ranked Worst to Best by Tomatometer. I love Netflix, and I love a lot of their original productions. So there is a actor that gets to play the police chief in a press conference. There are uncomfortable parts but that just makes it more compelling and emotional. Journalism icon Gay Talese reports on Gerald Foos, the owner of a Colorado motel, who allegedly secretly watched his guests with the aid of specially designed ceiling vents, peering down from an "observation platform" he built in the motel's attic. It films the people in the community that Jonbenet Ramsey lived in and tasks them with playing the parts of members of the Ramsey family. They understood we were casting people for re-enactments, and the re-enactments are in the film. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. The scene ostensibly serves to dispute the theory that JonBenet’s brother could have killed her – as a nine-year old could not muster the physical strength to do this – but the actual result of the scene is to see children gleefully battering the watermelon/head and even laughing as they eat pieces of it.

Cj Adams Net Worth, El Necronomicón, Liverpool V Leeds 1997, Once Upon A Time Robin Daughter, Waiting For My Real Life To Begin Meaning, Atalanta Starting 11, My Wish List Examples, Fragger Fortnite,